Trying to decide on whether or not to buy a house with pool?
Factors that could influence your decision will depend on cost, location, lifestyle needs, and much more. The thought of having a nice cool place to beat the summer heat in Western Pennsylvania can seem great at first, but before you take the plunge and opt for a house with a swimming pool, there are many other factors to consider. As with many other aspects of home ownership, including the house itself, maintenance is just one drawback of owning a house with a pool.
With the significantly different seasons we experience in Pennsylvania, you will have to decide if being a homeowner with a pool makes sense. With just a few good “pool weather” months there is a good change the pool will remain closed for a large part of the year. Many homeowners decide to extend the use of the pool by using a heater. The added costs in increased heating bills and time used to continue fall maintenance of the pool is often overlooked.
- A pool is a personal preference and is often a deterrent to home buyers which could result in a good deal for you.
- A home with a pool is often hard to sell. Keep that in mind for your future.
- Plan to have an average of $500 per year in pool expenses (heating, cleaning, chemicals, tests, repairs, etc.).
- Your homeowners insurance often charges you extra for having a pool. Be sure to research this with your insurance agent. Each company has a unique outlook on swimming pool surcharges if applicable.
- There are strict safety requirements you must comply with from an insurance company standpoint (fencing, locks, gates, etc.). A swimming pool can attract attention. Be sure to contact your agent about your insurance company’s requirements.
- Don’t forget to consider increasing your coverage. A higher liability limit could be considered to better protect you in the event that a tragedy occurs.
Overall, when it comes to buying a house with a pool, or getting one installed yourself, go ahead with your plans. As long as you are excited about owning and using the pool and can commit to keeping up with the necessary maintenance you could have some of the best summers yet!